February 7, 2016 Message Outline, "Finding Myself"
We live in a day when people want to “find themselves” and on the path to “self improvement” we’re told to just “follow your heart!” Those topics are the stuff of best sellers, seminars and money. But when we get God’s take on it, we’re in for a surprise.
(Read the Scripture passages and then consider the comment that follows.)
Isaiah 64:6; Rom. 3:23; John 3:18b; Jer. 17:9; Mark 7:21-22
1. When I find out who I really am in God’s eyes, I realize that I am broken and I can’t fix me. It’s called sin.
John 3:16; Phil. 3:10; Rom. 10:9
2. The only solution is knowing Christ and the result is eternal.
2 Cor. 5:17; Rom 7:18
3. God doesn’t improve me, He re-creates me. He warns me that if I follow my heart, it just leads me away from Him.
John 15:2; Job 1:21
4. It can hurt when God prunes my branches.
Job 2:10; Isaiah 6:1
5. Sometimes God allows pain to drive me to my knees.
Job 13:15; 2 Cor 4:17
6. God even gives me the faith to see through my troubles,
all the way to eternity.
We can make ourselves better
but not good enough to please God.
God doesn’t make us better,
He makes us new…..
And it’s paid for!
“And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free”